Thursday, April 19, 2012

WELLINGTRON.

I think I found the hipster capital of New Zealand. It's Wellington. Ponsonby gives it a good shot, but ultimately Auckland just hasn't got what it takes. It doesn't help that our reason for being in Wellington was the see Bon Iver and Death Cab for Cutie, and let's face it, that's pretty much like going to a hipster convention. Only my sister Becky will understand the significance of this.

On the flight down to Wellington we got a good view of Mount Taranaki. Wikipedia tells me it's one of the most symmetrical volcano cones in the world! Fancy that. Another fun fact direct from Wikipedia, it's the back drop for The Last Samurai. 

Fancy that!



According to Māori legend Taranaki used to live a bunch of other mountains in the centre of the North Island where he fell in love with Mount Pihanga. There was a fight between Taranaki and Mount Tongariro and Taranaki lost and fled to where he is today. When Taranaki is covered in clouds he is said to be mourning for his lost love and when there's a beautiful sunset, he's showing off. You can learn more by googling the legend and you'll probably realise how wrong I remembered the legend of Taranaki from my Kiwi bus driver.

After Sarah took some pictures for me I noticed that my camera was already running out of battery. Yeah, I forgot to charge it. And yeah, I forgot the charger. So the pictures were limited and confined to no flash. Still, I managed to get loads.

Once we settled in at the hostel we went off to explore. Last time I was in Wellington I didn't really think much of it, I liked it but I wasn't raving about it. It was good to see some more of the city and now I really quite like Wellington. Not because it's hipster central, but it's just a cool (and windy) city. Last time it was pretty rushed but this time we were able to take it slow and see much more.

I love all the street art in Wellington. Walking down the waterfront there is so much to see. I don't remember it last time I was there, so I don't know if it was all added for the RWC.



The first night was Bon Iver. It was beautiful. 


While getting a hot chocolate down Cuba St we spotted Dave Baxter from Avalanche City.


Then we saw him at the Te Papa museum the next day. I think he was following us.


We went to the Weta Cave, the museum for Weta Workshop - the place where they do special effects and props for loads of films like LOTR, Narnia, Tintin... the list is pretty long. It was a pretty cool little place, whether it was worth the bus trip out to I'm not sure.

You could however buy your own set of hand painted prosthetic Hobbit ears for a mere $52. Who can argue with that?!

We caught up with our mates Gollum and Lurtz while we were there. They say hey by the way.
[Thank you Sarah for the following pictures - I was saving my battery for DCFC]


We went up in the cable car and had a scenic walk back into the city through the botanical gardens and checked out the beehive while we were at it. There were also many a walk along the water front and various times of the day/night.


After some delicious Thai food it was time for the main event. I say this as if seeing Bon Iver was no biggie. Trust me, seeing Bon Iver was a big one in my concert going career, but this is Death Cab we're talking about. The band that I still get all fan girl about.

Like the fan girl I am, we were right at the front. Would have been perfect if it wasn't for all the 15 year old surrounding us. I could get on my high horse and probably rant about them but I realise I was probably just as bad when I first started going to gigs.


OK, want to know how truly pathetic I am?

I wrote the set list down. The logic was that I can make the playlist so I feel justified. If you're interested I've put it at the end of this blog post :)

At the airport the next day I ran into Elder Mau who is from my stake here in Auckland. It was transfer day so the place was full of missionarys. It was cool to catch up and a little bit strange at the same time.


On the flight I got to live my childhood dream to be an air hostess. Well, kinda. The woman asked me to look after the stuff. 

Here is Sarah's stealthy picture of me being a glamorous assistant.



Death Cab For Cutie - Wellington Town Hall - 29th Feburary

A Lack of Color
I Will Possess Your Heart
Crooked Teeth
We Laugh Indoors
Photobooth
Doors Unlocked and Open
Long Division
Grapevine Fires
Codes and Keys
What Sarah Said
I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Title Track
You Are A Tourist
The New Year
Company Calls
Soul Meets Body
Cath
We Looked Like Giants
Marching Bands of Manhattan
Home is a Fire
Title and Registration
A Movie Script Ending
Transatlanticism

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...