Friday, September 9, 2011

Opening Ceremony.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. The opening ceremony for the RWC was just WOW.

Seriously, I've never been happier to be in New Zealand. I am actually in love with this place in all it's beauty. [I discovered today there's a beach 20 minutes walk from my house. I'm gonna go check that bad boy out soon]

Unfortunately as I work as an au pair I've had the pleasure of watching all the celebrations from the couch. Another unfortunate thing is that the kids weren't that well behaved and it was chaos, with one child crying for 80% of the time from when her parents left to when she went to bed. I love these kids, but it's tough when they're crying for seemingly no reason.

Luckily though, the couch and TV offered the best view for encountering all the events. Part of the celebrations was a massive firework display down on the waterfront. I went out to watch it and there were some amazing fireworks coming off the sky tower. I could see the ones down on the waterfront but a tree was obscuring most of the view. The sky was just lit up for what felt like forever. It was amazing, just a shame I couldn't have had a better view (not including the TV).

Here are some terrible pictures that don't do the view justice. (I had my camera in the wrong setting. Sue me, I never claimed to be a photographer) The street lights on my street are pretty dim (as they seem to be in most of Auckland) so you can really see the stars at night. And it was a clear night. Stars + Fireworks = enchanting. 





I absolutely love being in New Zealand right now. The Kiwis should be proud.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...