Thursday, September 22, 2011

I think that's a lot.

Cast your mind back to opening night of the rugby world cup. That time I was babysitting and the kids (well, child) were misbehaving. Andrew had told each of the kids that if they didn't make any fuss that they would get a prize. Even with the bribe of dessert and the threat of not receiving a prize, Sienna refused to eat her dinner, stop shouting or quit with the Hollywood crying. Half way through dinner she went and ran herself a bath (at least she was being helpful) and then got ready for bed.

It sounds pretty straight forward but while all that drama was going on I actually thought "What am I even doing with my life?" I've only had this thought a couple of times, you know the one where you actually think there is no space in your life for kids ever, and well, she'd pushed me to think this again. Anyway, once she'd given herself a bath and got into bed she began to be quite co-operative so I read her a story and she went to sleep.

The next morning we watched the opening ceremony again while eating pancakes. Matthew and Phoebe had their prizes for being well behaved. Fortunate for them, in comparison to Sienna's tantrum, I had described M & P as 'angels' and they had been a 'dream'. Susan told me that the conversation between Andrew and Sienna had gone a little bit like this.

A: Did you make a fuss for Marianne?
S: Yup.
A: A little bit of fuss?
S: Nope. A big fuss.

Apparently she had a grin on her face the whole time. That girl was fully aware of what she was doing. Lucky for her, she's so cute and gives me so many cuddles that I forgive her.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...