Thursday, May 19, 2011

Queen Street and K'Road at night.

When my employers were dropping me off the other night they warned me that I shouldn't really walk down Queen Street on my own at night. They warned me that you get some unsavoury characters. I thought about telling them that I was from Wythenshawe and that walking down Queen Street probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. I also got told that K'Rd was a bit dubious.

Sarah was working and I needed something to do. So against my employers' advice I decided to take me a walk up Queen St and K'Rd to try and get some pictures of Auckland at night. I get half way up Queen Street and realise that I've got my new netbook, my dslr, my blackberry and iPod in my bag. A lot of money worth of stuff to have stolen and I begin to wonder if its worth taking all the stuff with me. I reminded myself that I live in Wythenshawe and that I'm only paranoid because of the words of warning I received.

I make it up K'Rd which offers a lovely view over the harbor, sky tower and what not as it's on top of the massive hill the Queen Street is. I can't find a spot that offers a good spot for a photo. I see this bridge that goes over the motorway and decide I need to get on it and then I'd be able to get a decent picture. So I turn down this road that should take me to this bridge and realise I have just walked into a red light district. All these women are eyeing me up. I don't think they saw me as competition, at least I hope not, I was pretty clothed.

So I get my pictures and I'm pretty pleased with myself. I'm walking along and see this impressive church-like building with the moon looking all eerie so I decide to get a picture. As soon as I get my camera out this drunk homeless looking man starts shouting stuff at me.  I have no idea what he is saying but he's laughing and smiling. I decide I better make a move as he's approaching me.

When I finally make it back onto Queen Street, the heavens opened so I've got my hood up and I'm walking pretty fast with my iPod on full blast, listening to some song I've not listened to in a long time no doubt. Suddenly I'm surrounded by these three women trying to talk to me. I stop walking and stop the iPod. They tell me that they are theology students and just wanted to ask me some questions for some research they're doing. As I'm stood on the edge of the university campus, I don't think anything of it but thought it's a bit odd that they are doing research at this time of night.

They show me this cheesy video about nature with a load of scriptures used out of context. They ask me a couple of questions about what I thought of the video. After a bit of discussion, they proceed to tell me that the second coming has already happened and begin to give me a lot of warnings. When I dispute what they're saying and tell them what I believe, they begin to argue with me. I ask them whether they are students. They tell me again they're theology students from Elohim Academy and they are World Christian missionaries. And they told me they are the only people who use the Bible correctly. I think when they realised that I wasn't going to be swayed by what they were saying they finally let me go and I left them with their New International Version of the Bible.

It was a good walk I think I got some good photos - I won't really know until I get them on the computer, but they look good on the display! -  and I discovered a few of Auckland's treasures.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...