Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day in Devonport

As I write this I'm sat in Skycity Metro, taking advantage of the free wifi. I'm here with my netbook. The guy opposite me is here with his chessboard. With all the pieces set up, he is challenging every passerby, in his heavy Russian accent, to a game of chess. He was one of the first regulars I noticed in Auckland as he used to sit in the window of Burger King on Queen Street, motioning for passersby to join him. I've even seen him having a few matches. I guess Burger King has kicked him out as I usually see him in here now.

Today I've had a full day of being a tourist in Devonport. My pictures would suggest that I went there to do a bit of bird watching, but I promise I didn't. It was purely coincidental, the birds were just everywhere. I decided to go to Devonport instead of Waiheke as it was cheaper and I want to save Waiheke for when I have a full weekend to spend there. Devonport is a beautifully quaint suburb of Auckland and it's just a 12 minute ferry ride away. As you approach the place looks so green and there is two volcano cones. You see all the houses looking out over the harbour. It's so picturesque and just looks so peaceful.  As you look back you get a full view of Auckland's skyline and harbor.

I got off the ferry and had no idea what I should do. I knew I wanted to go up Mount Victoria but had no idea how to get there. Luckily, I happened to stumble across the tourist information office and managed to pick up a map and including a pamphlet for 'The Old Davenport Walk'. I decided to start off with the walk and finish off with the trek up Mount Victoria. The walk took me along the beaches of Torpedo Bay, through the old centre of Devonport and back to the current centre of Devonport. The guide told me more about the houses, churches and old buildings I passed. It was quite cool to have a little history lesson while taking in the beauty of the place and just listening to what my iPod had to offer.

I can't pick the best word out to describe the houses. But I want one of them. (Breaking news: someone just accepted Chessman's challenge.) They were these small wooden houses which were all painted white. The Old Devonport Walk guide described the houses as 'villas' and 'cottages'. I can't remember whether I got a picture or not but I remember thinking that it would be a bit weird to take a photo of someone else's home.

When I got to the end of the tour I began the ascent up Mount Victoria. It's not that long of a walk, it's just so steep! But the views from the top were worth it in the end. I must have looked like an idiot because I was there balancing my camera on a book so I could set the self timer and take a photo of myself with the view. There were some interesting outcomes to say the least. As I mentioned before, there are were loads of birds. I was sat on a bench really close to this seagull, so i begin taking pictures of it. I turn and there's all these small birds by my feet. When I look back to the seagull he's been joined by some friends. I swear, I feel like Snow White surrounded by animals. I already have the short friends...

When I made it back into the center of Devonport, I found a "Best of British" shop where I got myself a can of Vimto. I miss Vimto. And as I was at the seaside, I got some fish and chips! No Cod though, just Hoki. It was just like being back home with my fish, chips and Vimto. Only one thing was missing - vinegar.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...