Thursday, October 27, 2011

Champions

Unless you live under a rock (or a country that doesn't care much for rugby) you may have heard that the All Blacks won a little thing called the Webb Ellis Cup. That's the trophy for the Rugby World Cup people. And boy, are the Kiwis celebrating.

I watched the match with Sarah over at Chapel Bar. The cheering was way underway before the team even got on the field. Me and Sarah (along with some french fans) were the only ones who didn't shriek along with the national anthem. It's not that I didn't want to sing along. I would have and I really thought the room could have benefited from my dulcet tones. But I don't know the words to 'God save the Queen' let alone the words to 'God defend New Zealand'. And they even sing it in Maori first, there was no hope for me. I sang a song in Maori once at church with RS and could not help laughing at my terrible pronunciation.

he match was a tense game and I pretty much watched the last 15 minutes through my fingers. I was so happy when it was finally over and felt a little bit of pride when they picked up the trophy. Yeah, I pretended I was Kiwi that day. I mean I've been here almost 6 months, that's surely enough to get citizenship right? When the fireworks began down on the waterfront we headed outside to check it out. I love fireworks!!



The next day was a public holiday. Not because of the world cup, it was Labor Day but I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence the final was the day before.

I had the day off so I headed into town to catch the parade with Dani and Serena. Once I managed to get off the bus I had to walk for about 30mins to get round the crowds and blockades just to meet the girls. Luckily they'd managed to find a spot where it wasn't too busy so managed to get quite near the front.

Here's a selection of photos for your perusing.





Piri Weepu, the guy celebrated for pretty much saving the All Blacks got into the parade dancing along.







Now that the world cup is over I can return to my equilibrium and go back to not caring about sport and rugby.

Yay!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...